I happened to catch this on TV the other night. Powers is pure emotion on this issue. I’ve featured her talking about it before, here, but if anything I think she’s gotten more feverish about it:
Powers is no dummy; she’s an intelligent woman who can at times be very articulate. Something about this issue makes her short-circuit. This seems to be fairly common these days, and not just for Powers. Here are some of the things that seem to completely escape her and others who hold a similar position:
(1) Countries have borders for a reason, and they have a right and an obligation to set up rules and standards for immigrants in order to protect themselves.
(2) The US doesn’t have an endless supply of money.
(3) This is not a spontaneous refugee situation; it is a crafted and organized one.
(4) Christianity does not require that either a person or a country take on all comers and support them.
(5) If you take in huge numbers of people who’ve broken a basic and important law (we’re not talking about a traffic violation here) you will get people who are lawbreakers in other important ways.
(6) Rewarding a behavior encourages more of the same. If you want to see the floodgates really open, just keep on accepting these people.