I’ve been working on fixing the “comments not showing up” problem, and I think I’ve made progress.
But some things remain to be solved. So I’m going to describe some of the details, and maybe some of you brilliant, brilliant tech-savvy people out there might be able to suggest some steps to eliminate the remaining glitches.
As far as I can see, these problems started in a mild fashion maybe a week ago, but then a few days ago they got quite noticeable. I’ve newly-updated the blog and now have all the newest versions of the blog and the spam filter, so needing to update either is not the problem.
Can anyone make sense of the following set of symptoms?:
(1) There is sometimes a delay between the time a person posts a comment and the time the comment becomes visible to the public and reflected in the comments count.
(2) A similar delay sometimes takes place when I publish a post.
(3) The delays are generally worse when viewed on a cell phone. I don’t know about tablets. But laptops and desktops seem to do better at catching up, although I don’t know if that’s a general rule.
(4) If a person manually refreshes the blog, that often corrects the problem and everything suddenly shows up properly. But not always. Particularly on cell phones, the problem can be a bit more “sticky.”
(5) I don’t know whether the following is related, but I suspect it may be. I used to get tons and tons of spam that was caught by the spam filter. It wasn’t a problem when the spam filter was working, which was virtually always. So every day I’d clear the spam filter, which usually had caught many thousands of spam comments—ordinarily between 2,000 and 10,000 spam comments a day. But then, just a little while ago—I don’t know exactly when, but it predated my noticing this “comments not displaying properly” problem by a few days—suddenly the flow of spam comments nearly stopped. Since then I’ve been getting maybe 100 spam a day caught in the filter. And it’s not that other spam is getting through, either; very little spam seems to be coming to the blog in the first place. Ordinarily that wouldn’t be a problem; it would be great to get so little spam. But it’s curious to me that the reduction in spam roughly coincided with this comment-display change that is a problem.
Any theories on any of this? Thanks!