During this time of blog cache snafus, a couple of people wrote to ask if I was okay, because they hadn’t seen a new post here since last Friday. That’s how severe the cache problem was for a few people. But a lot more people had a more minor form of it, and couldn’t see new posts and/or comments to a certain extent, either.
Well, it’s nice to know I’ve been missed. But the situation on the blog was completely unacceptable. People need updates, but they kept seeing the old cache instead of the new entries and didn’t even know what if anything was missing.
Well, it’s a lot better now. Whether it’s all better I’m not 100% sure, but time will tell. Please report to me pronto if you have any problem with new comments not showing up, or if there are disagreements between how many comments are listed in the number at the end of each post and how many can actually be viewed on that post, or if there is any day when by evening there are no posts at all or just one post (except Sunday; I usually take that day off).
As for what happened and how it got fixed—if in fact it is totally fixed—I’ve been working on the problem for four days now, looking up possible solutions online and calling my host repeatedly. The host support people kept denying they had anything to do with it, and the first couple of people I spoke to (after the usual looong wait times) not only denied it was their fault but just shrugged it off and said I should put up a note on the blog that everyone who reads it should use a certain browser, a browser I’d determined didn’t have the problem.
Inane, to say the least. I had patiently explained it was a problem on all browsers. But even if there had been an unaffected browser, can you imagine a blog that can only be viewed on one browser? Only the most faithful readers would stay, and new readers wouldn’t even find it in the first place.
After a lot of research on my part I kept coming up against the idea that it had to be a hosting problem, or at least mainly a hosting problem. I’ll skip the reasons why I concluded that. And so, after several more calls and many hours spent each day in this endeavor (by me, not by the host), they finally found a weird piece of code they had inadvertently and mistakenly inserted that was causing cached versions of my blog to “stick.”
I think it’s fixed now. At least, it’s fixed on my computer and on the computers of several friends I asked to check. The situation has been extremely frustrating, though. Please bear with me if it needs a bit more fine-tuning, and let me know how it’s going for you.
UPDATE 3:30 PM
From what I’ve heard from readers, most are experiencing marked improvements. Great! Some, however, still are having problems. I don’t know the ratio of the latter to the former, but I think it’s pretty low. Keep letting me know what’s happening in your case.
But I don’t want anyone to be having cache problems. Keep informing me, and I’ll keep working on it with the host. I could ultimately end up switching hosts, but until now they’ve been pretty good, and I’ve heard people complain about other hosts, too. So I’m hoping this was just a single error, never to be repeated, and I’m very much expecting it to be 100% fixed pretty soon.
In the meantime, keep refreshing if you think things may not be loading properly.